Nephrology service was started as a unit in Nepal Medical College Teaching Hospital on February 16, 2005 (5thFalgun, 2061) with an objective to cater quality, easily available and affordable nephrology services to Nepali people. At the time of its inception it was under the umbrella of General Medicine. It started with two hemodialysis machines and facilities for peritoneal dialysis (Intermittent and Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD)) and renal biopsy. As the service and number of patients increased, nephrology unit was separated from the General Medicine and now it is functioning as a separate department. On January 24, 2012 (10thMagh, 2068), Kathmandu University recognized it as a Department of Nephrology.
It has a separate ward with 31 beds including five beds for high care and four beds for peritoneal dialysis. The number of hemodialysis machines has also increased to sixteen. We are now delivering three sessions of hemodialysis per day and 24hrs emergency hemodialysis service. We have facilities for Slow and sustained low efficient dialysis (SLED) and hemodialysis within the ICU as well. We have started plasmapheresis with a dedicated machine for it.
Kathmandu University gave the permission to start DM course in Nephrology on March 12, 2012 (29thFalgun, 2068). This is the first and the only private medical college in Kathmandu valley to start DM course in Nephrology. Two of our DM students have completed the program. We have now two DM students in the department, dedicated house officers for the department and post graduate students for MD (Internal Medicine) on rotation. We are training DM students, post graduate and MBBS students and conducting dialysis nurse and technician training programs thrice a year.
- To cater quality, easily available and affordable nephrology services in Nepal
- To promote evidence based nephrology service in Nepal
- To produce quality nephrologists and dialysis sisters and technicians in Nepal
- To organize conferences, CMEs and workshops to upgrade the knowledge and skills of health man powers
- To create awareness amongst the general population regarding the kidney diseases and their prevention by organizing camps
- To introduce recent techniques and treatment modalities for the benefit of patient.
- To develop this center as a center for excellence in order to provide recent treatment facilities under one umbrella
- Delivering high quality care in a state of the art unit is our mission